Using nanami (seven flavor) chili pepper
Nanami is a Japanese original. This mixed spice was produced during the Edo period (1603 – 1868) and has been used with Japanese noodles, yakitori (char-broiled chicken), pickled vegetables, soups and a vast array of other dishes. In addition to its spicy flavor and wonderful aroma, the red color adds visual appeal to dishes.
The vivid color of nanami can be used to create dishes that appeal to the eye and palate. Sprinkle nanami on a plate of hot rolls and other foods and watch them come alive with a cheery red glow!
Seasoning with nanami is ideal for chicken and is indispensible when enjoying Japan’s famed yakitori (char-broiled chicken).
Mayonnaise-flavored grilled chicken
Nanami really accents the chicken in this simple and satisfying dish that even children will love.
Ingredients: 4 servings
250 g chicken thigh (boned) 1 tablespoon white wine 2 teaspoons soy sauce 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise 1 teaspoon nanami (or to taste)
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces then place in aluminum baking cups (one or two pieces per cup).
- Add wine and soy sauce.
- Spread mayonnaise to cover chicken.
- Cook in oven at 180°C for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle nanami over chicken and serve.
Herb breadcrumb fried chicken
A tasty, tender chicken dish made all the more flavory with spicy nanami.
Ingredients: 4 servings
2 large chicken thighs (total 500 g) Marinade 3 tablespoons white wine 1 garlic clove (sliced) 1/2 teaspoon salt Pinch of pepper Breadcrumb mix 1 teaspoon nanami 30 g breadcrumbs 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare marinade.
- Cut chicken into even slices and trim fat. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade and damp-dry with paper towel.
- Grill using medium heat for approx. 8 minutes
(double-sided grill; when using a single-sided grill, cook one side for approx. 5 minutes and the other for 4 minutes).
- Cover chicken with breadcrumb mix.
- Grill using low heat for approx. 3 minutes
(double-sided grill; when using a single-sided grill, cook one side only for approx. 4 minutes).
- Serve on plate with side dish of your choice.
Sprinkle onto your favorite dish! Nanami blends nicely with nearly any food.
Just a little bit goes a long way in adding a fragrant spiciness to your cooking.
Nanami and olives
Simply sprinkle nanami onto olives. That’s it!
Spice up your favorite recipes. Simply add nanami to taste and breathe new life into old dishes.
Nanami olive oil
Add some nanami to olive oil for an original, spicy condiment. After it sits for a while you’ll have a vivid red oil that looks as great as it tastes!